Why in news?
India observes Constitution Day or Samvidhan Divas on November 26 every year in order to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India.
- On the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar, the Union Cabinet decided to celebrate November 26 as Constitution Day.
What is the importance of Constitution Day?
- The main aim of celebrating this day is to create awareness among the citizens about the Constitution and its values. Earlier, this day was celebrated as ‘National Law Day’.
What is the history of the Constitution Day?
- At the beginning of 1948, Dr Ambedkar completed the draft of the Indian Constitution and presented it in the Constituent Assembly.
- It was on November 26, 1949, that this draft was adopted with very few amendments.
- The Indian Constitution came into effect on January 26, 1950, which is observed as Republic Day.
- The Constituent Assembly met for two years, eleven months and eighteen days, a total of 166 days, before adopting the Constitution.
- Initially, it had been written in both English and Hindi and had been signed by each member of the assembly.
Interesting facts about the Constitution of India
- The constitution is the largest written constitution in the world with 1,17,360 words (in the English version).
- The original copy had been written by hand.
- Each page of the constitution has a gold leaf frame while the opening page of each is adorned with some kind of artwork.
- Beohar Rammanohar Sinha and Nandalal Bose (Artists from Shantiniketan) had decorated the original version of the Constitution.
- Prem Behari Narain Raizada was a talented calligrapher who had prepared the original copies of the constitution
Preamble of the Constitution of India
- Declares the country as a sovereign, socialist, secular and democratic republic and aims to secure justice, liberty, and equality for all citizens and promote fraternity to maintain the unity and integrity of the nation.