CONSUMER EXPENDITURE SURVEY (CES)
http://larock.co.uk/about/expertise What is in news : New Consumer Expenditure Survey (CES) is likely to be conducted in 2021-22
http://hkbookkeeping.com/bookkeeping-services/ Background : The Government has decided not to release the results of the all-India household Consumer Expenditure Survey (CES), conducted during 2017-18, due to data quality issues.
What is the present status of poverty in India:
Consumer Expenditure Survey
- Time Interval: Traditionally, a quinquennial (recurring every five years) survey conducted by the National Sample Survey Office – NSSO (comes under the National Statistical Office), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
- Collects information on the consumption spending patterns of households across the country, both urban and rural.
- Information Generated
- Reveals the average expenditure on goods (food and non-food) and services.
- Helps generate estimates of household Monthly Per Capita Consumer Expenditure (MPCE) as well as the distribution of households and persons over the MPCE classes.
- Significance in General
- Helps in calculating the demand dynamics of the economy.
- Helps in understanding the shifting priorities in terms of baskets of goods and services, thus provides pointers to the producers of goods and providers of services.
- To assess living standards and growth trends across multiple strata.
- Significance for Policymakers
- Analytical as well as a forecasting tool which helps the Government in planning required interventions and policies.
- Spot and address possible structural anomalies that may cause demand to shift in a particular manner in a specific socio-economic or regional division of the population.
- Rebase the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and other macro-economic indicators.