Published on: April 1, 2022
Darlongs – a small community of around 11,000 people in Tripura – was officially included in the list of Scheduled Tribes after the Lok Sabha passed the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2022.
http://thewoodlandretreat.com/home/the-wondrous-woodland-festival/13901961_10154399907593252_1817654392_o/ WHO ARE DARLONGS?
- Tribal community of 11,000 people
- Has a high prevalence of education, cultural activities
- Members of the community are serving in different high positions in the local administration
- Were never given ST certificates as they were considered a generic tribe under the Kuki community
- Demand for a separate statutory identity of their own started in 1995
- Tribal musicologist and Rosem (tribal instrument) maestro Thanga Darlong was conferred the prestigious Padma Shri award a few years back for his contribution to culture.
TRIBES OF TRIPURA
Tripura, the tiny Northeast state of 37 lakh people houses 19 tribal communities. These include Tripuri or Debbarma, Reangs or Brus, Jamatia, Noatia, Uchoi, Chakma, Mog, Lushai, Kuki, Munda, Kour, Oram, Santhal, Bhil, Bhutia, Chaimar or Sermai, Garo, Khasi, Lepcha and Halam.