Published on: February 26, 2022
Birth anniversary of the Dayanand Saraswati recently celebrated
- Indian philosopher, social leader
- Founder of the Arya Samaj
- First to call for Swaraj as “India for Indians” (1876)
- Worked to revive Vedic ideologies while denouncing idolatry and ritualistic worship.
- Believed in the Vedas’ infallible authority.
- Proponent of the doctrines of Karma and Reincarnation.
- Believed that Hinduism had been corrupted by deviation from the founding principles of the Vedas and that the priesthood had misled Hindus for the priests’ own self-aggrandizement.
- Advocacy for equal rights for women, such as the right to education and the reading of Indian scriptures, and his commentary on the Vedas in Sanskrit and Hindi.
Translated the Vedas and published three books: Satyartha Prakash in Hindi, Veda Bhasya Bhumika, an introduction to his Vedic commentary, and Veda Bhasya, a Sanskrit Vedic commentary on the Yajurveda and the major part of the Rig-Veda