Padang Why in news?
Kerch The Digi Yatra paperless airport entry facility is functional at three airports in the country, at Delhi, Varanasi and Bengaluru .
- Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia launched the technological initiative called “Digi Yatra” at Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi
- The facility is also expected to be operational at Hyderabad, Kolkata, Pune and Vijayawada by March 2023, and then gradually across various airports in the country.
What is Digi Yatra?
- DigiYatra envisages that travellers pass through various checkpoints at the airport through paperless and contactless processing, using facial features to establish their identity, which would be linked to the boarding pass.
- Air India, Vistara Airlines and Indigo are the airlines that are currently integrated with DigiYatra
- The project has been conceived by the Digi Yatra Foundation under Union aviation ministry.
- The roll out DY will enable airports in India to join the ranks of world class airports like London Heathrow and Atlanta that use biometric identification.
- passengers who use this technology can save 40% time required to be spent at the airport.
Digi Yatra ID
- With Digi Yatra app ,passengers can get this ID by sharing details such as name, email address, mobile number, and details of an identification document (Aadhaar, driving license, voter ID etc.)
- To use this facility, one-time registration on Digi Yatra app is required using Aadhar based validation and a self-image capture.
- Once the ID is created, it has to be shared while booking tickets.
- Airline companies, in turn, will share this ID and passenger data with the departure airport.
What to do at airport?
- Opted for Aadhaar-based verification: Identity will be verified online.
- Other identity card verification : Done manually by security personnel
How about the data ?
- There will be no central storage of Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- Passenger’s ID and travel credentials are stored in a secure wallet in the passenger’s smartphone itself.
The uploaded data will utilise blockchain technology and all the data will be purged from the servers within 24 hours of use.