Published on: September 4, 2021
What is in news : Chief Minister of Manipur virtually launched the e-ILP platform for effective regulation of the Inner Line Permit (ILP) system in the state.
What is ILP :
- Document that Indian citizens from other states are required to possess in order to enter states like Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Nagaland and Manipur.
- Issued by the concerned State Government and can be issued for travel purposes solely.
- Such states are exempted from provisions of the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
History of ILP:
- Under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation Act, 1873, the British framed regulations restricting the entry and regulating the stay of outsiders in designated areas.
- This was to protect the Crown’s own commercial interests by preventing “British subjects” (Indians) from trading within these regions.
- In 1950, the Indian government replaced “British subjects” with “Citizen of India”.
- This was to address local concerns about protecting the interests of the indigenous people from outsiders belonging to other Indian states.