FSSAI on QR Codes
Why in news? The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has recommended inclusion of QR Codes on food products for accessibility by visually impaired individuals.
- Food Business Operators are encouraged to incorporate provisions that facilitate easy access to nutritional information for visually impaired individuals.
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 recognises the rights and needs of individuals with disabilities, that emphasises accessibility and the promotion of health for persons with disabilities.
- QR codes should consist details about the product, ingredients, nutritional information, allergens, manufacturing date, best before/expiry/use by date, allergen warning, and contact information for customer inquiries
- Inclusion of a QR code for the accessibility of information does not replace the requirement to provide mandatory information on the product label, as prescribed by relevant regulations
What are QR Codes?
- QR codes is a type of two-dimensional matrix barcode and a machine-readable optical image that contains information specific to the labelled item.
- It contain data for a locator, an identifier, and web tracking through scanning of codes with smart phone having QR readers.
Food Safety and Standards (Labeling and Display) Regulations, 2020
- Regulation has comprehensively outlines the information to be included on the labels of food products
- New requirement like allergen information , nutrition information , expiry dates and logos are introduced under it
- It aims at empowering consumers to make informed choices about during food products selection.