Published on: December 16, 2022
Why in news? NASA keen on sharing its expertise with ISRO for Gaganyaan with bi-annual meet between the two space agencies
- It is an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft intended to be the formative spacecraft of the Indian Human Spaceflight Programme.
- Designed to carry three people, and a planned upgraded version will be equipped with rendezvous and docking capability.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Indian Space Research Organisation
- 5.3 metric tonnes capsule will orbit the Earth at 400 km altitude for up to seven days with a two or three-person crew on board.
- ISRO undertook an uncrewed test launch of the vehicle aboard the GSLV Mark III
- Power: Photovoltaic array
- Regime: Low Earth orbit
- Design life: 7 days
- ISRO’s Human Space Flight Centre and Glavcosmos, subsidiary of the Russian state corporation Roscosmos, signed an agreement for cooperation in the selection, support, medical examination and space training of Indian astronauts.
- Service module is powered by liquid propellant engines.
- Vyommitra: Female-looking robot who will accompany the other astronauts in the mission.