GANDHI ASHRAM MEMORIAL PROJECT
What is in news : Gujarat state authorities have started the process of clearing residential properties within the Sabarmati Ashram premises to develop a world class memorial as part of a project planned under Project Gandhi Ashram Memorial and Precinct Development.
- The plan for the project, estimated to cost Rs 1,200 crore, and proposes to consolidate the properties on both sides of the Ashram road, which is west Ahmedabad’s arterial road, and eventually close it as a thoroughfare
- The plan involves reversing the five-acre area of the Sabarmati Ashram Preservation and Memorial Trust (SAPMT)-run Sabarmati Ashram to the 18-19 hectare area as was seen in an aerial photo taken in 1949 which is the base of the plan, “to bring back the lost glory”.
- For the implementation of the project, the Gujarat government has formed a Governing Council and Executive Council. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani is the chairman of the Governing Council. Chief Principal Secretary to the CM, K Kailashnathan, who chairs the executive council
- Formerly known as ‘Satyagraha Ashram”, situated in Ahmedabad at the Kocharab Bungalow of Jivanlal Desai, a barrister. Later on it was shifted to the banks of Sabarmati river and then it came to be known as ‘Sabarmati Ashram’.
- Gandhi stayed at the Ashram from 1915 to 1933 later on the Ashram was disbanded.
- Later renamed as Harijan Ashram, was started in all earnest with a two-fold purpose-one was to carry on the search for Truth, and the other was to create a non-violent group of workers, who would create a non-violent group of workers, who would organize and help to secure freedom for the country.
- Devoted ashramites led a community life in search of Truth and Non-violence under his guidance.
- Gandhiji lived in a small cottage which is now known as ‘Hridaya (Heart) Kunj’. It is a place of great historic value, where even today visitors find some of the things which Gandhiji used- a writing desk, a khadi kurta, a yarn spun by him and some of his letters.
- Other structures include : Nandini, Vinoba Kutir, Upasana Mandir, Gandhi Sangrahalaya