- Self-governing Palestinian territory located on the eastern coast of Mediterranean Sea
- Shares its border with Egypt on the southwest for 11 kilometers and with Israel on the east & north for a 51 km.
- Claimed by sovereign State of Palestine. Both the territories are separated from each other by Israeli territory.
However, since Battle of Gaza in June 2007, Gaza Strip has been governed by Hamas, which is a Palestinian fundamentalist militant Islamic organization. It came into power after the elections in 2006.
What is in news : Egypt closed its main border crossing point with Gaza Strip on August 23, 2021 because of tensions with Hamas rulers
- Rafah crossing was closed for the first time during a workday in year 2021.
- This crossing was kept open during the 11-day war between Israel and Hamas in May 2021.
- As per Egyptian officials, closing of the border was due to Cairo’s efforts of brokering a long-term cease-fire between Israel and Hamas.