Published on: May 20, 2021
What is the news :
Chief Minister of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, appointed “Guardian Ministers” in state.
Who is a Guardian Minister?
He/she is an ex-officio chairperson of the District Planning Committee (DPC), which is constituted in every district as per law. However, rule does not mention who should head the DPC. It can be headed by administration as well as by elected representatives.
Functions of Guardian Ministers
- Will look after balanced, speedy and sustainable developments in all 34 districts of state.
- Will be responsible to implement and resolve issues (if any) related to schemes by state and Central government in districts.
- Will also supervise government’s policy decisions, administrative reforms and welfare schemes for public.
- Will see how quickly people can get benefit of government’s schemes and projects.
- Will frequently visit assigned districts in normal as well as in during emergency situations.
- Can also suggest policy decisions for the welfare and development of district to the government. Later, this matter will be considered by state cabinet.
- Will recommend awards for best practices in districts and prepare a ‘Vision Document’ consultation with district administration.
- Can also plan for infrastructural development and study resources available in district.
- Look after plan to provide employment to unemployed youths.
- Will recommend district specific matters where Budget provision is required