Published on: October 9, 2021
HIGH AMBITION COALITION (HAC) FOR NATURE AND PEOPLE
- Group of more than 70 countries encouraging the adoption of the global goal to protect 30×30
- Initiated at the “One Planet Summit” in Paris in January 2021.
- Co-chaired by Costa Rica and France and by the United Kingdom as Ocean co-chair.
- Champions a global deal for nature and people with the central goal of protecting at least 30 percent of world’s land and ocean by 2030.
What is 30×30 target
- Global target
- Aims to halt the accelerating loss of species, and protect vital ecosystems that are the source of our economic security.
- In order to address both the biodiversity crisis and the climate crisis, there is growing scientific research that half of the planet must be kept in a natural state.
- Despite this, experts agree that a scientifically credible and necessary interim goal is to achieve a minimum of 30% protection by 2030.
- The scientific data help justify the 30×30 target for biodiversity conservation both at a global level and a regional level.
What is in news : India joins HAC