Published on: March 5, 2022
HOST COUNTRY AGREEMENT
Government of India & International Telecommunication Union (ITU) signed the Host Country Agreement (HCA)
Defiance ABOUT THE AGREEMENT
- Signed in a virtual ceremony during the World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly-20 (WTSA-20) being held in Geneva, Switzerland
- Provides the legal and financial framework for the establishment and operations of the Area Office and innovation center of ITU in New Delhi, India
International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- ITU is the United Nations specialized agency responsible for information and communication technologies (ICTs). It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It was established in 1865 as the International Telegraph Union, making it the oldest UN agency.
- ITU currently has a membership of 193 countries.
World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly (WTSA)
- WTSA is a four-yearly global conference of ITU dedicated to standardization of the Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs).
- WTSA defines general policy and adopts working methods and procedures for ITU-T.
- Article 18 of the ITU Constitution and Article 13 of the ITU Convention provides the functions of the WTSA.
- India has proposed to host the next WTSA to be held in 2024.