The Sacred Ensembles of the Hoysala — the famed Hoysala temples of Belur, Halebid and Somananthpura in the State — has been finalised as India’s nomination for consideration as World Heritage for 2022-23.
buy Pregabalin Lyrica uk DETAILS
- Background – They are on UNESCO’s Tentative list since 15th April, 2014
- What happens next –
- UNESCO will communicate back by early March
- Site evaluation will happen in September /October 2022
- Dossier will be taken up for consideration in July /August 2023.
- What is World Heritage site – Place that is listed by UNESCO for its special cultural or physical significance
- Who maintains the list – International ‘World Heritage Programme’, administered by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee.
- Benefits –
- Help maintain a legacy for the future.
- Once a site is declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, it is accepted as prima facie evidence that such a site is culturally sensitive and warrants legal protection pursuant to the Law of War under the Geneva Convention, its Articles, Protocols and Customs.
ABOUT THE TEMPLES
- Built in the 12th-13th centuries
- Represented by the three components of Belur, Halebid and Somnathapura
- Attest to the creativity and skill of the Hoysala artists and architects
- ‘Hoysala Temple’ form.
- Have a basic Darvidian morphology
- Show strong influences of
- Bhumija mode widely used in Central India
- Nagara traditions of northern and western India
- Karntata Dravida modes favoured by the Kalyani Chalukyas
- Hoysala architects made considered and informed eclectic selections of features from other temple typologies which they further modified and then complemented with their own particular innovations.
- Hoysala temples are protected monuments of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and therefore conservation and maintenance will be done by ASI.
- The District Master Plan of the state government will also incorporate the buffers of all monuments and build an integrated management plan.
- State government will also look at the traffic management issues to be looked into especially around the designated property.