Published on: August 6, 2021
IAC – 1
Krasnyy Lyman What is in news : Sea trials of the country’s maiden indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-1), built by the public sector Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL).
http://mt-bw.co.uk/lowcost/ About :
- First aircraft carrier designed and built in India
- It will be named INS VIKRANT
- Improve Navy’s capability to travel far from its home shores to carry out air domination operations
- Designed by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design (DND), and is being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL)
- Leads as the capital ship of a carrier strike/battle group. As the carrier is a valuable and sometimes vulnerable target, it is usually escorted in the group by destroyers, missile cruisers, frigates, submarines, and supply ships
Other Aircraft Carriers of India :
- INS Vikramaditya, currently the Navy’s only aircraft carrier that was commissioned in 2013, started out as the Soviet-Russian Admiral Gorshkov.
- The country’s two earlier carriers, INS Vikrant and INS Viraat, were originally the British-built HMS Hercules and HMS Hermes before being commissioned into the Navy in 1961 and 1987 respectively