Published on: May 8, 2021
INDIAN RED CROSS SOCIETY
What is the news : Oxygen-related items and medicines coming from the U.S. will be distributed by the Indian Red Cross Society
INDIAN RED CROSS SOCIETY (IRCS)
- Is a voluntary humanitarian organization providing relief in times of disasters/emergencies and promoting health and care for vulnerable people and communities.
- Was established in 1920 under the Indian Red Cross Society Act and incorporated under Parliament Act XV of 1920. The act was last amended in 1992 and of rules were formed in 1994.
- Has 36 State / Union Territories Branches with their more than 1100 districts and sub district branches.
- Honourable President of India is the President & Health minister is Chairman
- The Vice Chairman is elected by the members of the Managing Body
- The National Managing Body consists of 19 members
- The Chairman of National Managing Body and 6 members are nominated by the President. The remaining 12 are elected by the state and union territory branches through an electoral college
- The Managing Body is responsible for governance and supervision of the functions of the society through a number of committees
- The Secretary General is the Chief Executive of the Society
- Headquarters : Delhi