INDIA’S FIRST GREEN HYDROGEN PLANT
Boulder What is in news : IOC, India’s largest oil firm will build the country’s first ‘green hydrogen’ plant at its refinery in Mathura. This decision has been undertaken with the view of preparing for a future to cater to the growing demands cleaner forms of energy.
- Earlier, ‘grey hydrogen’ production projects have been announced making use of fossil fuels such as natural gas.
- Several hydrogen production units are being planned to be set up by IOC.
- With Hydrogen fuel cell powered buses are plying on the road it will be essential to set up hydrogen power plants.
Types of Hydrogen Plants
- Hydrogen is the latest buzz as it is a clean fuel but manufacturing it causes carbon by-products and it is energy-intensive.
- Through the process of coal gasification brown hydrogen is created while this process throws off carbon waste.
- Blue hydrogen uses carbon capture.
- The ultimate clean hydrogen resource is green hydrogen production and it uses renewable energy to create the hydrogen fuel.
- Hydrogen is also said to be a fuel for the future.
Importance of clean energy in India: Forecasts state that Indian fuel demand will climb to 400-450 million tonnes by 2040 as against 250 million tonnes and hence, it will be important to invest in CNG, LNG, ethanol and biodiesel.
About IOC: Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) is a government owned gas and Oil Corporation that was founded in the year 1959. It’s headquarter is located in Delhi.