Published on: December 19, 2022
http://www-comic.com/?m=20130710 Why in news? INS Mormugao ship was commissioned on the eve of the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Goa from Portuguese rule.
- It is the second of four stealth guided missile destroyers being built under Project-15B.
- With over 75% indigenous content, it is a testimony to India’s excellence in design and development of warships and an example of indigenous production capabilities.
- Type: Guided missile destroyer
- Design of the ships: Directorate of Naval Design
- Construction: Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd., Mumbai.
- They are a follow-on of the Kolkata class destroyers and named after major cities from all four corners of the country
- Visakhapatnam, Mormugao, Imphal and Surat.
- INS Visakhapatnam, was commissioned in 2021.
- INS Imphal and INS Surat are at various stages of outfitting and trials.
- Propelled by four powerful gas turbines
- Capable of achieving speeds in excess of 30 knots( Enhanced stealth features resulting in a reduced radar cross section).
- These ships are equipped with BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles and long-range surface-to-air missiles.
- Some of the major indigenised equipment and systems aboard include
- surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles
- Torpedo tubes and launchers
- Anti-submarine rocket launchers and super rapid gun mount,
- Combat management system
- Integrated platform management system and automated power management system
- Foldable hangar doors, helo-traversing system, close-in weapon system, and bow-mounted SONAR