Published on: March 1, 2022
INTERNATIONAL MONSOONS PROJECT OFFICE
Valle de La Pascua NEWS
International Monsoons Project Office launched
- Hosted at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune
- Under Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Set up reiterates the importance of monsoons for the national economy
- It would encompass activities and connections related to international monsoon research that would be identified and fostered under the leadership of the World Climate Research Programme and the World Weather Research Programme
- Both the World Climate Research Programme and World Weather Research Programme are international programmes coordinated by the United Nations World Meteorological Organisation (WMO)
AIM & BENEFIT
- Expanding an integrated scientific approach to solve the seasonal variability of monsoons, enhancing the prediction skill of monsoons and cyclones
- Strengthening monsoon research for better support operations and services, thereby promoting knowledge sharing and capacity building in areas of monsoon research crucial for agriculture, water resources and disaster management, hydropower and climate-sensitive socio-economic sectors.
- Support activities of the Monsoons Panel, jointly established by the World Climate Research Programme’s CLIVAR (Climate and Ocean Variability, Predictability, and Change) and GEWEX (Global Energy and Water Exchanges) projects
- Aligned with this year’s theme of the National Science Day – ‘Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future’.