Published on: August 12, 2021
second-class What is in news : ISRO EOS 3 satellite that was launched failed in third stage
Saraburi About :
- The satellite, EOS-03, was carried on board the 14th flight of the GSLV, the GSLV-F10, which was to place the satellite in a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit.
- The EOS-03 was a state-of-the-art agile satellite that would enable real-time monitoring of natural disasters such as floods and cyclones, monitoring of water bodies, crops, vegetation condition, forest cover changes among others.
- This was the second launch for ISRO in 2021 as work has been hit by the COVID-19 restrictions.
MAHITI FOR PRELIMS
Earth Observation Satellites
- An Earth Observation Satellite or Earth Remote Sensing Satellite is a satellite used or designed for Earth Observance (EO) from orbit, including spy satellites and similar ones intended for non-military uses such as environmental monitoring, meteorology, cartography and others.
- The most common type are Earth imaging satellites, that take satellite images, analogous to aerial photographs; some EOS satellites may perform remote sensing without forming pictures, such as in GNSS radio occultation.
- The first occurrence of satellite remote sensing can be dated to the launch of the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, by the Soviet Union in 1957