Published on: December 17, 2022
Hulyaypole Why in news? G20 delegates visited the http://frescohealth.com/public/admin/assets/plugins/jquery-file-upload/server/php/index.php Kanheri Caves in Mumbai after attending the development group meeting of G20
About Kanheri Caves
- They are a group of caves and rock-cut monuments cut into a massive basalt
- Location : Forests of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- They contain Buddhist sculptures and relief carvings, paintings and inscriptions, dating from the 1st century CE to the 10th century CE
- Rock-cut channels above the caves fed rainwater into cisterns,
- Avalokiteshwara is the most distinctive figure.
- Connected with many trade centers :Ports of Sopara, Kalyan, Nasik, Paithan and Ujjain.
- It was a University center under Maurayan and Kushan empires
- Inscriptions : Marriage of Satavahana ruler Vashishtiputra Satakarni with the daughter of Rudradaman
- Cave 17 at Nasik Caves is contemporary with the Great Chaitya at Karla,
- Cave number 34 : Unfinished paintings of Buddha on the ceiling of the cave
- Cave No.3 : Great Chaitya
- Cave No.11: Darbar Cave , is a cave bearing the name of the Maharaja or Darbar Cave, which is the largest of the class in the group,