KARBI ANGLONG AGREEMENT
http://wargereavy.com/category/writing-and-content-development/ What is in news : The centre signed a tripartite agreement- “Karbi Anglong Agreement” with representatives of Karbi outfits
Friedrichshain Who are Karbis: Karbis is a major ethnic community of Assam, which is presently splintered into various groups and factions. Originally, they are one of Northeast India’s tribal groups, largely inhabiting the Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao (formerly North Cachar) hills districts.
Why is Karbi Anglong Agreement important?
- The Karbi Anglong Agreement is important as an insurgency by Karbi has had a long history in Assam, which has been marked by killings, ethnic violence, abductions and taxation since the late 1980s. The agreement hopes to bring an end to this violence and establish peace in the state.
- Around 1000 Karbi militants had surrendered before the Assam government in February 2021. Around 150 of those Karbi militants reached North Block where the Karbi Anglong Agreement was being signed and about 15 of them were present in the meeting.
What is in the pact :
Under the Karbi Anglong Agreement, the Assam state government has agreed to:
- Provide financial compensation of Rs 5 lakh to each of the next of kin of persons who lost their lives in agitations related to autonomous state demand and have not yet been compensated in any manner.
- Consider favourably the proposal of KAAC to notify Karbi as the official language of KAAC. However English, Hindi & Assamese will continue to be used for official purposes.
- Allocate Rs 500 cr (Rs 100 cr per annum) for development of infrastructure in KAAC area. Additionally, the state will contribute Rs 500 cr for development of the area.
- In return, all signatory armed groups shall abjure the path of violence, surrender their weapons and disband their organisations within one month of signing of the Agreement. All camps occupied by these groups will also be vacated forthwith