KARNATAKA COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
What is in news : Union ministry of Environment, forest & Climate Change has notified about constituting a Karnataka Coastal Zone Management Authority. Notification was issued under Environment Protection Act, 1986.
Karnataka Coastal Zone Management Authority
- Is a 15-member body which will be constituted to protect & improve the quality of coastal environment.
- Aims to prevent, abate and control environmental pollution in Coastal Regulation Zone of Karnataka.
- Headed by Additional Chief Secretary, State Department of Forest, Ecology and Environment, Bengaluru.
- Term of office of present members is for three years.
Functions of authority
- Authority will examine the application received for approval of project proposal, if it is in accordance with approved Coastal Zone Management Plan.
- It will also regulate all developmental activities in CRZ areas as specified in the 2011 notification.
- It is responsible for enforcing and monitoring provisions of notification.
- It will examine the proposals received from Karnataka government for changes or modifications in classification of CRZ areas.
- It will inquire into cases of alleged violation of provisions of Act or rules and review cases involving violations or contraventions of provisions of the act or rules.
- It will inquire or review cases of violations or contraventions of notification suo moto.
- Authority has been authorised to file complaints under Section 19 of Act.