KARNATAKA POLICE ACT
http://sjfiremuseum.org/privacy-policy/ What is in news : The Karnataka legislature has passed a Bill to amend the Karnataka Police Act, 1963 in order to ban all forms of gambling in the state, including online gambling.
Lyubotyn Aim : Strengthen the Karnataka Police Act to make gambling a cognizable and non-bailable offence and “curb menace of gaming through the Internet, mobile apps”
- Covers all forms of wagering or betting in connection with any game of chance (with the exception of horse races and lotteries)
- Any act of risking money or otherwise on the unknown result of an event including on a game of skill is an offence.
- Law enhances maximum punishment for owners of gambling centres
- One year to three years of imprisonment
- Fines from Rs 1000 to Rs 1 lakh
- Minimum punishment proposed is six months instead of the current one month and a fine of Rs 10,000 instead of Rs 500
- For aiding or abetting gambling, the punishment has been enhanced to six months imprisonment and a Rs 10,000 fine.