Karnataka tops in Fasal Bima
Why in news? Karnataka was declared topper in the implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) scheme, during a national conference in Chhattisgarh.
- In 2021 Kharif season, 13.15 lakh farmers had enrolled in the scheme. The numbers increased to 23.86 lakh in 2022. there has been a 47.74 per cent increase in the enrolment.
- The common service centres have also seen an enrolment of 4.66 lakh non-loanee farmers over the last six years.
- The department has taken all measures to reduce the time for enrolment and payment.
- For 2023 Kharif season, the state government has released its advance share of Rs 951 crore for PMFBY scheme implementation
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) scheme:
- The scheme was launched in India by Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers welfare, from Kharif 2016 season onwards.
Objective of the Schemes
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal BimaYojana (PMFBY) aims at supporting sustainable production in agriculture sector by way of
- Providing financial support to farmers suffering crop loss/damage arising out of unforeseen events
- Stabilizing the income of farmers to ensure their continuance in farming
- Encouraging farmers to adopt innovative and modern agricultural practices
- Ensuring flow of credit to the agriculture sector which will contribute to food security, crop diversification and enhancing growth and competitiveness of agriculture sector besides protecting farmers from production risks.
Who can be covered?
- All farmers who have been sanctioned Seasonal Agricultural Operations (SAO) loans (Crop Loans) from Financial Institutions (FIs), i.e. loanee farmers, for the notified crop(s) season would be covered compulsorily.
*The Scheme is optional for non-loanee farmers.
Coverage of Crops
- Food crops (Cereals, Millets and Pulses),
- Annual Commercial / Annual Horticultural crops.
Rate of Premium to be paid by the farmer
|Type of Crop||Kharif||Rabi|
|Food grains including Cereals, Pulses and Oilseeds||2%||1.5 %|
|Annual Horticulture and Commercial Crops||5%|
Coverage of Risks and Exclusions under PMFBY Scheme:
- Prevented Sowing/Planting/Germination Risk: Insured area is prevented from sowing / planting / germination due to deficit rainfall or adverse seasonal/weather conditions. 25% of the sum insured will be paid and the Policy will be terminated.
- Standing Crop (Sowing to Harvesting): Comprehensive risk insurance is provided to cover yield losses due to non-preventable risks, viz. Drought, Dry spell, Flood, Inundation, widespread Pests and Disease attack, Landslides, Fire due to natural causes ,Lightening, Storm, Hailstorm and Cyclone.
- Post-Harvest Losses: Coverage is available only upto a maximum period of two weeks from harvesting, for those crops which are required to be dried in cut and spread / small bundled condition in the field after harvesting against specific perils of Hailstorm, Cyclone, Cyclonic rains and Unseasonal rains.
- Localized Calamities: Loss/damage to notified insured crops resulting from occurrence of identified localized risks of Hailstorm, Landslide, Inundation, Cloud burst and Natural fire due to lightening affecting isolated farms in the notified area.
- Add-on coverage for crop loss due to attack by wild animals: The States may consider providing add- on coverage for crop loss due to attack by wild animals wherever the risk is perceived to be substantial and is identifiable.
General Exclusions: Losses arising out of war and nuclear risks, malicious damage and other preventable risks shall be excluded.