Published on: December 30, 2021
Pagbilao Birth anniversary of Kuvempu recently celebrated
Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa
- 29 December 1904 – 11 November 1994
- Born in the Chikmanglur district of Karnataka
- Received early education in Shimoga and nearby districts and completed college education in Mysore.
- Started his academic career as teacher of Kannada language in Mysore and Bengaluru. Became professor, and then principal of the Maharaja’s College in Mysore, his alma mater
- Appointed as Vice Chancellor of Mysore University
- First student of the Mysore university to become its Vice Chancellor.
- First literary works were in English but then he shifted to his mother tongue Kannada.
- A poetry collection called “Beginner’s Muse” was his first literary work in English. Achieved extraordinary distinction by his creative works comprising almost all the genres of modern Kannada literature.
- Magnum opus is the Sri Ramayana Darshanam. It is based on Ramayana and led him to become a Sahitya Akademi and Jnanpith Award winner.
- To promote research in Kannada, he founded the Kannada Adhyayana Samsthe (Institute of Kannada Studies) in the Mysore University. Today, it is known as Kuvempu Institute of Kannada Studies.