KWAR HYDROELECTRIC PROJECT
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the investment for 540 Megawatt (MW) Kwar Hydro Electric Project located on river Chenab of Union Territory of Jammy and Kashmir.
DETAILS OF THE PROJECT
- Implemented by Chenab Valley Power Projects Private Limited (CVPPL) – a joint venture company between National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) and Jammu & Kashmir State Power Development Corporation (JKSPDC)
- The Power generated will help in balancing of Grid and will improve the power supply position
- Tributary of Indus
- Known as Chandrabhaga River in Pakistan
- Mouth – Baralacha Pass in Himachal Pradesh.
- Formed by the confluence of two streams, Chandra and Bhaga, in the western (Punjab) Himalayas in Himachal Pradesh.
- After receiving the Jhelum River near Trimmu, the Chenab empties into the Sutlej River