Published on: November 9, 2022
Why in news?
A plane operated by Tanzania’s Precision Air crash-landed into Lake Victoria on approach to the lakeside city of Bukoba
- Lake Victoria is Africa’s largest lake by area, the world’s largest tropical lake, and the world’s second-largest fresh water lake by surface area after Lake Superior in North America.
- In terms of volume, Lake Victoria is the world’s ninth-largest continental lake .Lake Victoria occupies a shallow depression in Africa.
- The lake’s area is divided among three countries: Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania
- The lake was renamed after Queen Victoria by the explorer John Hanning Speke,
- The lake is home to many species of fish which live nowhere else, especially
- Invasive fish, such as the Nile perch, have driven many endemic species to extinction.
- The Kagera River is the largest river flowing into this lake, with its mouth on the lake’s western shore. Lake Victoria is drained solely by the Nile River