Published on: December 4, 2021
Longest migration route of lesser florican from Rajasthan tracked. The latest instance of migration detection is that of a male lesser florican covering a distance of 1,000 km from its breeding ground was recorded.
ABOUT LESSER FLORICAN
- Taxonomically classified as Sypheotides indicus
- Small and slender bird species
- Belonging to the bustard group
- Smallest in bustard family.
- It is endemic to the Indian Subcontinent
- Found in tall grasslands
- Dehradun-based Wildlife Institute of India (WII) has launched a recovery programme. Endangered bird
- Oin Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat
- During the monsoon season in some regions, it breeds and later disappears with its chicks to unknown places.
- Listed as “critically endangered” on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species
- Population has been identified as “decreasing”.