Published on: October 22, 2023
Why in news? Lao PDR becomes second country in 2023 after Bangladesh to eliminate lymphatic filariasis
- This is the country’s second neglected tropical disease (NTD) to be eliminated in six years, following the elimination of trachoma as a public health hazard in 2017.
- According to the WHO progress report, the disease Nineteen countries have been able to eliminate LF till date
- Lymphatic filariasis is considered as a globally neglected tropical disease (NTD)
About Lymphatic filariasis
- Specialty-Infectious diseases
- Most cases have no symptoms
- severe swelling of the arms, legs or breasts
- Causes-Filarial worms spread by mosquitoes
- It is a human disease caused by parasitic worms
- It is the first of the mosquito-borne diseases to have been identified
- Can be prevented by treating entire groups through process known as mass deworming
- Elephantiasis caused by lymphatic filariasis is one of the most common causes of permanent disability in the world.
- Occurrence -In tropical and subtropical regions of Africa, Asia, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America, and certain Pacific Island nations