Published on: December 26, 2022
Madan Mohan Malaviya
Why in news? Prime Minister paid tributes to Pt. Madan Mohan Malaviya on his Jayanti(December 25) at parliament
About Madan Mohan Malaviya
- He was an Indian scholar, educational reformer and politician notable for his role in the Indian independence movement.
- President of the Indian National Congress four times
- He was addressed as Pandit, a title of respect, and also as Mahamana (Great Soul)
Founder/Co- Founder :
- Founder of Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha.
- Co-founded the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) at Varanasi in 1916
- Founders of The Bharat Scouts and Guide
- Vice chancellor of the Banaras Hindu University from 1919 to 1938.
- Founded a highly influential English newspaper, The Leader
- Chairman of Hindustan Times from 1924 to 1946.
- His efforts resulted in the launch of its Hindi edition named Hindustan Dainik in 1936.
- Was posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian distinction
- Malaviya was a delegate at the Second Round Table Conference
- In protest against the Communal Award to provide separate electorates for minorities, Malaviya and Madhav Shrihari Aney left the Congress and started the Congress Nationalist Party.
- Malaviya founded Ganga Mahasabha to oppose the damming of the Ganga.
- The slogan “Satyameva Jayate” (Truth alone triumphs) is also a legacy of Malaviya
- Malaviya started the tradition of Aarti at Har ki Pauri Haridwar to the sacred Ganga river which is performed even today.