Published on: February 26, 2022
Karnataka govt gives nod for Mahadayi hydro power project
- West-flowing river
- Originates in Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary (Western Ghats), Belagavi district of Karnataka
- Rain-fed river
- Called Mandovi in Goa
- Travels 35 km in Karnataka; 82 km in Goa before joining the Arabian Sea
KALASA-BANDURI NALA PROJECT
- Undertaken by the Government of Karnataka
- Improve drinking water supply to the three districts of Belagavi, Dharwad, and Gadag.
- Building across Kalasa and Banduri, two tributaries of the Mahadayi river to divert water to the Malaprabha river.
- Malaprabha river supplies the drinking water to Dharwad, Belgaum, and Gadag districts.
- Kalasa-Banduri project was planned in 1989; Goa raised an objection to it.
- The Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal was set up in 2010. Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra are parties to the tribunal.