Published on: June 9, 2023
Why in news? Mission on Advanced and High-Impact Research (MAHIR) launched to leverage Emerging Technologies in Power Sector.
- Ministries : The Ministry of Power and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy have jointly launched a National Mission
- Aim : To quickly identify emerging technologies in the power sector and develop them indigenously, at scale, for deployment within and outside India.
- It facilitate indigenous research, development and demonstration of the latest and emerging technologies in the power sector.
- Time frame: Initially planned for 2023-to 2027
- Structure of the Mission
- The Mission will have a two-tier structure – a Technical Scoping Committee and an Apex Committee.
- Technical scooping committee : Chaired by the Chairperson of Central Electricity Authority, will identify ongoing and emerging research areas globally, recommend potential technologies
- Apex Committee : Chaired by the Union Minister for Power & New and Renewable Energy will deliberate on the technology and products to be developed and approve the research proposal
- Funded by pooling financial resources of the Ministry of Power, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and the Central Public Sector Enterprises under the two Ministries.
- Any additional funding needed will be mobilized from Government of India’s budgetary resources.