Published on: February 17, 2022
MEDARAM JATHARA FESTIVAL
Medaram Jathara 2022 recently commenced
- Second-largest fair of India, after the Kumbh Mela
- Celebrated by the second-largest Tribal Community of Telangana- the Koya tribe
- Also known as Sammakka Saralamma Jatara.
- Tribal festival honoring the fight of a mother and daughter, Sammakka and Saralamma, with the reigning rulers against an unjust law.
- Celebrated in the state of Telangana(declared a State Festival in 1996)
- Begins at Medaram in Tadvai Mandal in Warangal district
- Remote place in the Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary, a part of Dandakaranya, the largest surviving forest belt in the region.
- Celebrated once in two years in the month of “Magha” (February) on the full moon day
- People offer bangaram/gold (jaggery) of a quantity equal to their weight to the goddesses and take holy bath in Jampanna Vagu, a tributary to River Godavari
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs has approved a budget of 2.26 crores for the fair
- Largest adivasi tribe(SCHEDULED) of Telangana
- Spread across Telugu speaking states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
- Call themselves as Dorala Sattam (Lords group) and Putta Dora (original lords)
- Exercise profound influence on Koyas’ economic, social and cultural life in Godavari and Sabari rivers plain
- Settled cultivators( grow Jowar, Ragi, Bajra and other millets )