Published on: March 9, 2023
Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM)
Why in news? The Indian Navy carried out a successful test-firing of a Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) from frontline warship INS Visakhapatnam.
- The test firing validated the capability to engage the weapon as an anti-ship missile
- The MRSAM has been jointly developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- It is produced at Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), reflecting the Navy’s commitment to Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- The Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) is a supersonic missile that can be launched vertically with a rapid response time and is intended to intercept various airborne threats such as guided bombs, aircraft, missiles, and helicopters.
- It has different variations for use by the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- The MRSAM weighs 275 kg and possesses a range of 70 km, dual guidance (command and active radar seeker), TVC and Aerodynamic control, and dual pulse propulsion with a solid motor.