Published on: December 22, 2022
Why in news? The United States is planning to send the Patriot surface-to-air missile defense system to Ukraine to protect electricity infrastructure.
- Patriot missile systems have long been a hot-ticket item for the US and allies in contested areas of the world as a coveted shield against incoming missiles.
- In Europe, the Middle East and the Pacific, they guard against potential strikes from Iran, Yemen and North Korea
About MIM-104 Patriot
- Type: Mobile surface-to-air missile/anti-ballistic missile system
- Place of origin: United States
- Advanced aerial interceptor missile and high-performance radar systems.
- It has been given the function of the U.S. Army’s anti-ballistic missile (ABM) system
- Patriot was one of the first tactical systems in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) to employ lethal autonomy in combat.