Published on: September 16, 2021
What : Initiative to promote zero-pollution delivery vehicles
How : Working with consumers and industry
By : NITI Aayog ( With RMI & RMI )
- Accelerate adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the urban deliveries segment
- Create consumer awareness about the benefits of zero-pollution delivery.
Other Details :
- Corporate branding and certification programme is being launched to recognise and promote industry’s efforts towards transitioning to EVs for final-mile deliveries
- Online tracking platform will share the campaign’s impact through data such as vehicle kilometers electrified, carbon savings, criteria pollutant savings and other benefits from clean delivery vehicles.
- Transitioning to clean transportation is critical as India continues to move forward towards a sustainable and resilient future. Competitive economics and available technology support the full electrification of India’s urban deliver fleets on an accelerated timeline, which will create tailwinds for other market segments to follow
- Urban freight vehicles account for 10 percent of freight transportation-related CO2 emissions in India, and these emissions are expected to grow by 114 percent by 2030. EVs emit no tailpipe emissions, which can contribute immensely to an improved air quality.
- Even when accounting for their manufacture, they emit 15-40 percent less CO2 compared to their internal combustion engine counterparts and have lower operational cost. The central and the state governments have introduced policies to provide upfront incentives for EVs, which will lower the capital cost by a high margin.