Published on: April 16, 2022
MODERNISATION OF PRISONS PROJECT
Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has recently issued guidelines to states and union territories asking that they modernize prisons as part of the Modernisation of Prisons Project
- Started in 2002-03 with the goal of improving the conditions of prisons, prisoners, and prison personnel
- As per new guidelines project will run for five years, from 2021 to 2026.
- Government of India has opted to provide financial assistance to states and union territories under the Project for Using Modern-Day Security Equipment in Prisons for:
- Increasing the security of jails.
- Through correctional administration programmes, the task of reforming and rehabilitating prisoners is facilitated.
- The Central Government will provide a grant to states and UTs to implement the project.
- Grants-in-aid are payments made by one government to another government, body, institution, or individual in the form of assistance, donations, or contributions.
- Implementation Strategy: MHA will allocate funds to states and union territories based on the number of jails, inmates, jail staff, etc.
- The Steering Committee formed to monitor the implementation of the modernization of prisons project will make the proposal of funding.
- Coverage: The project will include all states and union territories, as well as the following jail types: Central Jails, District Jails, Sub-Jails, Open Jails, Women Jails, Special Jails, and so on.