Published on: November 9, 2021
UK drug regulator announced that it has approved the first oral antiviral for treatment of Covid-19. The drug, molnupiravir, has been developed by Merck and Ridgeback
- Developed initially to treat influenza
- Has been repurposed to treat Covid patients
- Interferes with the replication of SARS-CoV-2, thereby reducing severity of disease.
- Most effective when used early
- UK has recommended its use as soon as possible following a positive test and within five days of symptoms onset.