Published on: September 20, 2021
MUMBAI – DELHI EXPRESS WAY
What is in news : Union Transport minister concluded review on Mumbai-Delhi expressway
- Will be the world’s longest highway once completed.
- Expected to be completed by March 2023.
- Length – 1380-km
- Eight-lane expressway ( can be expanded to a 12-lane expressway depending on the volume of traffic )
- Start – Haryana’s Sohna
- End – Mira Bhayander near Mumbai.
- Special Features:
- Wayside amenities – resorts, restaurants, food courts, fuel stations, facilities for truckers, logistics parks.
- A helicopter ambulance service for accident victims and a heliport, which will use drone services for business as well.
- First in Asia and only the second in the world to feature animal overpasses to facilitate unrestricted movement of wildlife.
- Include two iconic 8-lane tunnels, one tunneling through Mukundra sanctuary, Rajasthan and the second will pass through the Matheran eco-sensitive zone, Maharashtra.
- Will improve connectivity to economic hubs like Jaipur, Kishangarh, Ajmer, Kota, Chittorgarh, Udaipur, Bhopal, Ujjain, Indore, Ahmedabad, Vadodara and Surat.
- Result in annual fuel savings of more than 320 million litres and reduce CO2 emissions. The project has also created employment for thousands.