National Conclave on Standards & Regulations for Technical Textiles
Why in news? Ministry of Textiles, under its flagship scheme National Technical Textiles Mission (NTTM), organized the 6th National Conclave on Standards & Regulations in association with FICCI and BIS, emphasizing on importance of Standards, Quality regulations & Rationalization of HSN codes for Technical Textiles in India
- The event encompassed 5 technical sessions focusing on Standards and Regulations under specialized areas of Technical Textiles like Protective textiles, Geotextiles, Build tech, Oekotech, Medical textiles and in other emerging areas of Technical Textiles
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) released 4 new standards during the conclave –
- IS 18266 : 2023, Textiles — Medical Respirator — Specification,
- IS 18309 : 2023 Geosynthetics — Prefabricated Vertical Drains for Quick Consolidation of Very Soft Plastic Soil — Specification,
- IS 18158 : 2023 Textile — Floor Covering – Artificial Grass Carpet made of Synthetic Yarn for Landscape — Specification and
- IS 18161 : 2023, Textiles — Light Weight Jute Sacking Bags for Packing 50 kg Mustard Seed, Niger Seed and Ragi — Specification.
The need for standards and regulations:
- Quality standards are critical for technical textile products, as these products are highly specialized and technical in nature.
- Continuous formulation and revision of the standards for each product category and segment significantly impacts the consumption of technical textile products in India.
- It will also support effective implementation of flagship schemes of Ministry of Textiles like, PM MITRA, Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme.
What are Technical Textiles?
- Technical textiles are functional fabrics that have applications across various industries including automobiles, civil engineering and construction, agriculture, healthcare, industrial safety, personal protection etc.
- Technical Textile products derive their demand from development and industrialization in a country.
- Based on usage, there are 12 technical textile segments