National Education Day
Why in news?
National Education Day is celebrated annually on November 11 to mark the birth anniversary of India’s first Education Minister Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
About Abul Kalam Ghulam Muhiyuddin Ahmed bin Khairuddin Al-Hussaini Azad
- He was an Indian independence activist, Islamic theologian, writer and a senior leader of the Indian National Congress.
- He became the First Minister of Education in the Indian government.
- Adopted Azad (Free) as his pen name.
- Became the youngest person to serve as the President of the Indian National Congress.
- He was elected as a member of foundation committee to establish Jamia Millia Islamia at Aligarh in U. P
- Prominently leading the causes of Hindu–Muslim unity as well as espousing secularism and socialism.
- Congress president(1940 to 1945) during Quit India rebellion
- Newspaper: Al-Hilal
- Books : India Wins Freedom, Ghubar-e-Khatir, Tazkirah, Tarjumanul Quran
- He served as president of the UNESCO General Conference held in Delhi
- Awards: Bharat Ratna (posthumously in 1992)
Mahatma Gandhi and Azad
- Leader of the Khilafat Movement, during which came into close contact with Mahatma Gandhi.
- Azad an enthusiastic supporter of Gandhi’s ideas of non-violent civil disobedience, and worked to organise the non-co-operation movement in protest of the 1919 Rowlatt Acts.
- He committed himself to Gandhi’s ideals, including promoting Swadeshi and the cause of Swaraj for India.