Published on: August 9, 2021
NATIONAL HANDLOOM DAY
order gabapentin uk When : August 7
- Swadeshi movement was launched on August 7 1905
- The day is observed to pay tribute to handloom weavers and artisan communities across India
Handloom weave in India
- Every state of India specializes in different handwoven weave. For Instance,
- Assam is known for Kamrup cotton and eri silk.
- Dimapur and Phek towns in Nagaland are known for backstrap-loom textiles.
- Andhra Pradesh is known for Venkatagiri fine cotton & silk weave, embellished with jamdani and zari.
- Odisha is known for Maniabandha weft ikat in fine cotton and silk.
Handloom Craft Villages
- On the occasion, three Handloom Craft Villages will be set up at
- Kovalam in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Mohpara Village of Golaghat district in Assam and
- Kanihama in Budgam, Srinagar
- Craft villages will be set up by Ministry in collaboration with State governments.
- Handloom Craft Villages are being set up with the aim of providing additional attraction for domestic and international tourists. It seeks to promote well-known Handloom and Handicraft Products of the region.