Published on: May 12, 2022
NATIONAL TECHNOLOGY DAY
NEWS : India observes its National Technology Day on 11th May every year
- First observed on 11th May, 1999
- Aims to commemorate the scientific and technological achievements of Indian scientists, engineers
- Named by the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Every year, the Technology Development Board of India celebrates the day by awarding individuals with the National Award for their contribution to science and technology in India.
- It is the day India successfully tested nuclear bombs in Pokhran on 11th May, 1998.
- India successfully test-fired its Shakti-1 nuclear missile in an operation called Pokhran-II, also codenamed as Operation Shakti which was led by late president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- The nuclear missile was tested at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan. This was the second test which was conducted after Pokhran-I codenamed Operation Smiling Buddha, in May 1974.
- On the same day, India performed a successful test firing of the Trishul Missile (surface to air short range missile) and had test flown the first indigenous aircraft – ‘Hansa – 3’.