Published on: October 7, 2023
National Turmeric Board
Why in news? Government of India notifies constitution of National Turmeric Board in Telangana
- The board will be constituted under Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- It will focus on the development and growth of turmeric and turmeric products in the country.
- Board will have a Chairperson, appointed by the Centre.
- It will have members from the Ministry of AYUSH, Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Commerce & Industry and senior State government representatives from the three states on a rotational basis.
- Selected national/State institutions involved in research, representatives of turmeric farmers and exporters will also be members of the Board.
- A secretary will be appointed to the Board by the Commerce Ministry.
- It is a flowering plant in the ginger family with Perennial, rhizomatous(plant stem that sends out roots and shoots from its nodes), herbaceous plant
- Leading producer: Maharashtra,Telangana, Karnataka and Tamil nadu
- Turmeric powder has a warm, bitter, black pepper-like flavour and earthy, mustard-like aroma.
- It is a flavouring agent in many Asian cuisines, especially for curries, as well as for the dyeing characteristics
Climate and soil:
- It grows in diverse tropical conditions from sea level to 1500 m above sea level
- Turmeric is native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia
- Temperature: 20-35 C
- Annual rainfall: 1500 mm or more under rain fed or irrigated conditions.
- Soil : Well-drained sandy or clay loam soils