Published on: November 18, 2021
The Vice President,addressing scientists and staff of the U R Rao Satellite Centre suggested to ISRO to give a thrust to the indigenously-developed regional navigation satellite system, NaVIC for global use.
- Full Form – Navigation with Indian Constellation
- Independent regional navigation satellite system
- Designed to provide position information in the Indian region and 1500 km around the Indian mainland
- Developed by ISRO
- Would provide two types of services, namely Standard Positioning Services available to all users and Restricted Services provided to authorised users.
- Will consist of seven satellites. Three of these will be geostationary over the Indian Ocean, i.e., they will appear to be stationary in the sky over the region, and four will be geosynchronous – appearing at the same point in the sky at the same time every day.
- Its applications include:
- Terrestrial, Aerial and Marine Navigation.
- Disaster Management.
- Vehicle tracking and fleet management.
- Integration with mobile phones.
- Precise Timing.
- Mapping and Geodetic data capture.
- Terrestrial navigation aid for hikers and travellers.
- Visual and voice navigation for drivers.