NEW CHIEF ELECTION COMMISSIONER
NEWS : Rajiv Kumar has been appointed as the new Chief Election Commissioner
ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA
- Under article 324
- For the superintendence, direction and control of the preparation of the electoral rolls for the conduct of elections to parliament, state legislatures and to the offices of president and vice president.
- Established on 25th January 1950 – national voters’ day
The constitution provides for the following provisions in relation to the composition of the election commission:
- The election commission shall consist of the Chief Election Commissioner and a such number of other election commissioners, if any, as the president may from time to time fix.
- The appointment of the chief election commissioner and other election commissioners shall be made by the president.
- When any other election commissioner is so appointed the chief election commissioner shall act as the chairman of the election commission.
- The president may also appoint after consultation with the election commission such regional commissioners as he may consider necessary to assist the election commission.
- The conditions of service and tenure of office of the election commissioners and the regional commissioners shall be such as the President may by rule determine.
- Though the Chief Election Commissioner is the chairman of the election commission, however, his powers are equal to the other election commissioners
- All the matters in the commission are decided by the majority amongst its members
- The Chief Election Commissioner and the two other election commissioners receive equal salary, allowances and other benefits.
Tenure: The Chief Election Commissioner and other election commissioners hold office for 6 years or till they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- They can resign anytime or can also be removed before the expiry of their term.
- The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed from his office in the same manner and on same grounds as a judge of the Supreme Court.
The Constitution has not
- Prescribed the qualifications (legal, educational, administrative or judicial) of the members of the Election Commission.
- Debarred the retiring election commissioners from any further appointment by the government