Published on: December 20, 2022
North Eastern Council
Why in news? Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the golden jubilee celebration of the North Eastern Council in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- The “GOLDEN FOOTPRINTS”, a commemorative volume chronicling NEC’s contribution towards the development of the North Eastern Region over the last fifty years, was released
- Inaugurated various important projects of the North Eastern Region including Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Shillong, NEC projects and Meghalaya state projects and lay foundation stones for some other projects.
- Prime Minister also dedicated 4G towers of Meghalaya.
About North Eastern Council
- Nature : Statutory advisory body
- Act : North Eastern Council Act 1971
- Member states: Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim
- Council Members: Chief Ministers and Governors representing state with Chairman and three Members who are nominated by the President of India.
- Latest added Member: Sikkim (2002).
- Headquarters : Shillong and functions
- Parent Ministry: Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DONER)
- Funding : Mainly with the Central Government
- To discuss any matter in which some or all of the States represented in the Council have common interest
Advise the Central Government and the Governments of the States regarding –
- Matter of common interest in the field of economic and social planning
- Matter concerning inter-State Transport and Communications
- Relating to Power or Flood-control projects of common interest.