Published on: March 27, 2023
Why in news? Operation Interflex is a part of the U.K.’s commitment of £2.3 billion for military aid and support to Ukraine.
- The course, by the U.K. and nine other partner countries and trains recruits from Ukraine’s military.
- The other nations involved in the initiative are Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Lithuania, and the Netherlands.
- Training is on at four locations in the U.K.— Yorkshire, Kent, Wiltshire, and Northumberland.
- The U.K. and other key allies agreed at the Copenhagen Conference to expand long-term military support for Ukraine in its defence against Russia.
- Operation Interflex aims to teach weapon handling, range activity, marksmanship, fieldcraft basics, field tactics, battle casualty drills, counter explosives, the laws of armed conflict, first aid, and cyber security awareness.
- The U.K. has supplied a large inventory of high-tech military equipment that includes a squadron of 14 Challenger 2 tanks, AS90 and 28 M109 155mm self-propelled guns, hundreds of armoured and protected vehicles, more than 10,000 anti-tank missiles (including NLAW, Javelin, Brimstone, and other anti-tank weapons) and multiple launch rocket systems.