Published on: November 15, 2021
PANDIT JAWAHARLAL NEHRU
http://yesand.co.uk/category/facilitate-meetings/page/2/ Birth anniversary of Pandit Nehru is celebrated every year as Children’s day
Pt Jawaharlal Nehru
- Influential leader in the Indian independence movement
- Political heir of Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru
- Became the nation’s first prime minister in 1947
- Faced with the challenge of uniting a vast population diverse in culture, language and religion
- Successfully established various economic, social and educational reforms that earned the respect and admiration of millions of Indians.
- Policies of non-alignment and Panchscheel – principles of peaceful coexistence
- Guided India’s international relations until the outbreak of the Sino-Indian War in 1962.
- Born into an affluent Kashmiri Brahman family in Allahabad on November 14, 1889.
- Studying law at London’s Inner Temple
- Returned to India at the age of 22
- Practiced law with his father and prominent barrister, Motilal Nehru.
- Joined All India Home Rule League
- ROLE IN NCM – During the Non-Cooperation Movement (1920-22) led by Mahatma Gandhi, Nehru was imprisoned for the first time for activities against the British government and, over the course of the next two and a half decades, spent a total of nine years in jail.
- In 1929, Jawaharlal was elected president of the Indian National Congress—his first leadership role in politics—whereby he promoted the goal of complete independence from Britain as opposed to dominion status.
- Participation in Individual Satyagraha:
- To protest against the participation of India in World War II without consulting Indian leaders and confusion created by the August Offer, the individual satyagraha was launched not to seek independence but to affirm the right to speech. Pt. Nehru was chosen as the second satyagrahi in this movement after Vinoba Bhave.
- Was one of the pioneers of the constituent Assembly. He moved the objective Resolution on 13 December 1946, which became the light for our preamble. He was the chairman of the States Committee, Union Powers Committee and Union Constitution Committee.